12/20/05

Perfection is...


PERFECTION IS...

Physical therapy four times a day,
respiratory "thumping" three times daily,
catheterizing three times daily,
noting output on the calendar
along with his head circumference
measurement taken once a day,
in case "they" ask, and so they will know.
I know when something is wrong
with my baby. I know by instinct,
but they need the facts.

Feeding every three or four hours,
noting input and length of time for feedings,
only to note the output he throws back up.
Medicines remembered
and given on time, doctor
and therapy appointments met cheerfully.

Time for cleaning the house, and
preparing nutritious meals
for a two-year old,
and appetizing food for myself -
who's never hungry.
Time for umpteen loads of laundry a day,
and real perfection would be
to get that laundry folded and put away.

Time for Jeremy, Jacob, and me as a family,
time to laugh and enjoy being home together,
time to make good things happen
and time to recognize the good things
when they do happen by themselves.

Time for studying the Bible,
and reading books to the kids,
and playing, and praying.
Time for smelling the roses,

and taking the time to share it
with my babies. 

Time for baking cookies,
making the beds,
and making memories of love,
a happy home, cookies and milk, and traditions.

I know the expectations
I put on myself are nearly impossible to meet,
and I know I shouldn't feel guilty, but I do;

But that's what perfection would be.
.

No comments: