10/22/05

Easter


Easter

The pain is choking me tonight;
it occurs to me
that I am consciously
concentrating on breathing.

I search the tunnels
of my mind for a reason,
trying to understand
why my mind butterflies
from one image to the next
without resting.

The Easter Bunny
just finished her duties.
There should be two parents
hiding the eggs,
and there should be two baskets
because there should be two children here.

The meaning of Easter
eludes me this year,
my still fairly new faith
requires rejoicing,
but I feel only suffocating pain.
I realize why I couldn't or wouldn't
explain to 3 year old Jeremy
the meaning of this day -
fearing his question
"oh, then when will Jacob come back from dead?"

Because I wonder the same thing.


Sure enough, he did ask me when Jacob would come back from being dead.  
.

No comments: